I’m one of those people who always seems to have a half dozen different projects on the go. There’s my poetry, which I’m currently editing and collating into a collection that I hope to publish, and my photography, though this has shifted over the last year to being phonography after the back pain from a slipped disc grew so bad that carrying the weighty DSLR equipment became impossible. I’m also still writing fiction and have three different novels that are in the second draft stage, plus numerous kids stories in need of completion. The urge to write more flash fiction is also strong. I paint both watercolour pictures and canvases, as well as draw the kids colouring pictures that I’ve recently been editing and sharing on here.
My latest obsession, however, is felt and embroidery art. I’ve now completed five pieces, and I don’t plan to stop anytime soon.
This is the largest picture so far. It’s 7.5″ x 9″ (19cm x 23cm) and took me several weeks of constant sewing to finish. The flowers are poppy, chamomile and scarlet pimpernel.
Here are a few close ups.
After finishing this one I decided to try a slightly smaller size.
This one is 4.5″ x 4.5″ (11cm x 11cm) and took only a few days to complete. Luckily I’d already worked out how to do each flower, so it was quite easy to do.
I’ve also done some medium sized pictures.
This one, showing wild carrot, field marigold and clover, and a bumble bee too, was actually the first one I completed. It measures 6″ x 6″ (15cm x 15cm) and took about a week to make. You might notice that it has much less felting than the others. If I were to do it again now, the petals of the marigolds would be felted rather than just embroidered.
With most of the pictures I’ve been revisiting summer in the meadow, but sometimes I like to stay more seasonal.
This one, of snowdrops and winter aconites, is again 6″ x 6″ (15cm x 15cm) and took me about a week.
This is my latest one – completed just last night. It shows daisies and forget-me-nots, with a bumble bee.
This is another small one, measuring 4.5″ x 4.5″ (11cm x 11cm), but it actually took me much longer to complete – mainly because I’ve not been working on it quite so constantly. Since I started work on it I’ve moved house and then had to face the stress of the coronavirus outbreak. I’ve also returned to my colouring pictures, and spent a great deal of time putting all of the environmental articles that I wrote for the Rooter into my blogroll here. But I keep on returning to my embroidery, even if only for a few hours each evening.
For my next project I aim to be more seasonal again. I’m thinking about bluebells and celandines, or maybe primroses…
My aim is to get all of them mounted and framed and then to sell them on Etsy. I’d like to finish a few more before I do so, and then I can work out how much to actually sell them for. Pricing things like this is always the part I find hardest.
Anyway, I hope you like them. I’d love to know what you think.