This post is in response to Heena Rathore P.’s Word of the Week (WOW). This weekly meme is a great way of improving your vocabulary. If you wish to participate, simply create a post with your word and leave a link in a comment on Heena’s WOW post.
Here’s my WOW for this week:
Part of Speech
noun: effervescence, effervescency
past participle: effervesced
1) (Chemistry) of a liquid, giving off bubbles of gas, bubbling
3) exhibiting great excitement, vivacity, etc
1) aerated, bubbling, carbonated, fizzing, fizzy, foaming, foamy, frothing, frothy, gassy, sparkling, sparkly,
2) animated, buoyant, bubbly, chirpy, dynamic, ebullient, energetic, enthusiastic, excited, exhilarated, exuberant, joyful, lively, merry, scintillating, sparkling, vital, vivacious, zingy
1) flat, stale, still, weak
2) boring, dull, dour, flat, jejune, lacklustre, lifeless, insipid, spiritless, unexciting, vapid,
C18: from Latin effervescere to foam up, from fervescere to begin to boil, from fervēre to boil, ferment
Use in a sentence
1) She raised the champagne glass in toast, watching the bubbles soar in an effervescent dance through the pale amber liquid.
2) Her effervescent nature was almost legendary – Livvy bounced her way through life with an energy and enthusiasm that inspired all she encountered.
If you want to discover more great words then visit Heena’s page Word Treasure.