This post is in response to Heena Rathore P.’s Word of the Week (WOW). This weekly meme is a great way of improving your vocabulary. I’ve learnt so much more about my WOW word while researching for this post!
If you wish to participate, simply create a post with your word and leave a link in a comment on Heena’s WOW post.
Here’s my WOW for this week:
Part of Speech
(adverb: amorphously; noun: amorphousness; noun: amorphism)
1) lacking definite shape, formless.
2) of no recognisable character or type, having no pattern or structure, unorganised.
3) (of rocks, etc) not having a crystalline structure.
1) shapeless, vague, nondescript, indeterminate, nebulous, formless, inchoate, characterless, unformed, unshaped, unshapen
2) unstructured, irregular,
1) definite, distinct, formed, shaped, shapen
2) coherent, ordered, orderly, organized, clear, decided, , structured
1725-35, from Modern Latin amorphus, from Greek ámorphos: “without form, shapeless, deformed”.
Use in a sentence
1) The spirit drifted through the building in an amorphous cloud, seeping through every nook and cranny as it explored.
2) He poured out his words in an amorphous style that to shifted and twisted as he wrote.
3) The curl of amber hid amidst the rock, it’s amorphous structure catching the light for the first time in centuries.
If you want to discover more great words then visit Heena’s page Word Treasure.