This post is in response to Heena Rathore P.’s Word of the Week (WOW). This weekly challenge is a great way of improving your vocabulary. If you wish to participate, simply create a post with your word and leave a link in a comment on Heena’s WOW post. This week I’ve also added a bonus gallery of pictures from the garden to finish off…
Here’s my WOW for this week:
Part of Speech
1. having discrete markings in different colours
2. including many different things: full of variety
1660s – from Latin variegat- ‘made varied’ (from the verb variegare, from varius ‘diverse’) + ed
1) chromatic, coloured, colourful, kaleidoscopic, motley, mottled, multicoloured, multihued, polychromatc, polychrome, polychromus, prismatic, rainbow, varicoloured, varied, versicolour, versicoloured
2) assorted, divers, diverse, diversified, heterogeneous, miscellaneous, mixed, motley, multifarious, multiform, sundry, varied, various
colourless, monotone, monochrome, monochomatic, solid, unvariegated
Use in a Sentence
1) With the vividly variegated hues of their garments the dancer were as entrancing as a flock of exotic of birds.
2) The contents of their grocery shop was always a variegated selection.
3) I’ve never before realised just how many plants and flowers in my garden can be described as variegated.
The final plant pictured in the gallery I found to be particularly interesting. It’s a single plant but the clumps of flowers are all slightly different shades – it definitely fits the word ‘variegated’!