This post is in response to Heena Rathore P.’s Word of the Week (WOW). This weekly challenge is a great way of improving your vocabulary. If you wish to participate, simply create a post with your word and leave a link in a comment on Heena’s WOW post.
Here’s my WOW for this week:
Part of Speech
1. of or relating to a tempest
2. violent or stormy emotions or actions
First recorded use 1500-10 (Middle English), from Late Latin tempestuōsus
1. boisterous, blustery, furious, gusty, inclement, raging, squally, stormy, turbulent, wild, windy
2. boisterous, emotional, excited, feverish, flaming, heated, hysterical, impassioned, intense, passionate, stormy, turbulent, uncontrolled, violent, wild
calm, peaceful, quiet, serene, tranquil, undisturbed, unruffled
Use in a Sentence
1. The tempestuous seas raged against the lighthouse, angry waves crashing against unyielding walls.
2. Their relationship had always been tempestuous, characterised by frequent fights and passionate reconciliations.